Become a Medical Administrator: Billing & Coding Specialist
Start Your New Career
Graduates of the Medical Administrator: Billing & Coding Specialist program are prepared for entry-level positions (in some cases experience may/will be required) as a:
- Patient Claims Advocate, Health Information Technician, Claims Representative, Medical Administrative Assistant, Eligibility Specialist, Medical Secretary, Medical Administrative Aide.
- Government Agency or Public Health and Home Health Agency Coder
- Medical Coding and Billing Specialist, Coder in an Outpatient facility or Insurance Company Coder
Gain the Skills & Knowledge Needed for a Successful Start
- Prepare to pass premier industry certifications in coding, billing and insurance.
- Learn about certification-level medical coding, billing and insurance, claims reimbursement, electronic health records, and HIPAA compliance regulations.
- Understand the eligibility guidelines for Medicare, Medicaid/Medi-Cal, and billing procedures for TRICARE, Blue Shield/Blue Cross, and Workers' Compensation.
Get Professional Certification to Help You Land a Job
San Diego College prepares you for the following certifications:
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC) with the AAPC
- Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) with the NHA
- Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS) with the NHA
Your Career Starts Here
Tell us a little about yourself, and we'll send along information that's tailored to you.
San Diego College
4782 Clairemont Mesa Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92117
These premier industry certifications include a certification from one of the largest and most reputable associations in the field for providing medical coding certifications: the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC). The National Healthcareer Association (NHA) provides testing for the industry certifications designed for insurance and billing, and a separate certification for medical front office technologies.
What does a Medical Administrative Specialist do?
The Medical Administrative Specialist works behind the scenes, beyond the public eye in the medical industry. They ensure physicians, doctors, and nurses can operate at their best by managing essential aspects of the medical office; they contribute essential duties to their community and to the office. Medical administrative specialists may not practice medicine, but they make it possible for a medical office to thrive and function. One sample duty is coding: they abstract critical information from a patient record and combine it with personal expertise of reimbursement and coding guidelines to maximize physician payment.
They perform delegated administrative tasks under a physician's or office manager's supervision according to their education, training, and experience - making it essential for someone seeking this career path to beat the competition with a quality, well-rounded education program.
Get More Information
Learn more about San Diego College's Medical Administrator: Billing & Coding Specialist program and financial aid options by completing the form on the right.